hass.io: find your ip-address

The first issue I encountered after installing hass.io was so find the IP address of my Raspberry Pi. It is critical to know the IP of the Raspberry to be able to reach the web interface or to log in by SSH.

My router does not support mDNS otherwise I should have been able to connect through my web browser to the hass.io web interface by typing 
http://hassio.local:8123
Since that did not work I had to find the IP of my Raspberry Pi manually.

The most obvious way to find the IP was to turn to my router since the router is the one that distributes the IP addresses to all devices on the local network. How to connect to a router is brand specific but the general steps include that I first had to locate the IP of my router and use that to login to it through a browser. An easy way to determine the IP of my router was to pick up my iPhone and under Settings > Wi-Fi > Information for my Wi-Fi connection find the Router IP to be 192.168.1.1.

Figure 1. Locate the IP address of the router.

I then through a web browser connected to my router by entering
http://192.168.1.1
Once connected to the routers web interface I needed the username and the password of the router. If it has not been changed that data is typically noted at the backside of the router.

Once inside the router I located a list of all connected clients and identified my Raspberry Pi/Hass.io and it's IP to be 192.168.1.242.

Figure 2. Locate the IP address of the Raspberry Pi.

To connect to the hass.io web interface I then in my browser typed
http://192.168.1.242:8123
Another possibly more straight forward way of identifying the Raspberry IP is to use a port scanner on my local network. One such application is Fing that can be installed on an iPhone and in a few seconds identifies the Raspberry IP.

Figure 3. Fing is an excellent tool to scan a local network for devices and their IP.

Note: The port number to access the hass.io web interface is 8123.
Note: The same process can be used if you need to find the IP of your ikea trådfri gateway, your tellstick znet v2 gateway or any other device on your network.

Please let me know in the comments field if you have any questions or comments.

Comments

Post a Comment