hardware: raspberry pi 4 and aeotech z-wave dongle

I started my hass.io journey on a Raspberry pi 3b+ but when the Raspberry 4 was released I wanted to migrate to the new hardware to make use of its improved CPU and memory. I was also hoping to experience shorter reboot times.

So, when the Raspberry 4 arrived I also thought it was a good idea to start from scratch to get a fresh install. I downloaded the latest image from home-assistant.io and got started. It all went very smooth until I tried to integrate my Aeotech z-wave USB dongle that simply would not show up in hass.io.

After some googling and detailed reading I learned that the Aeotech dongle and the Raspberry 4 was not hardware compatible(!). My first though was that I had to go back to the Raspberry 3 which was not what I wanted. My second thought was to replace the Aeotec dongle but since I had already paid for it and had a few Aeotech devices that was not an attractive path either.

The solution: a low cost USB hub between the Raspberry and the Aeotech dongle.

It turns out that one of the devices (Raspberry or Aeotec dongle) does not fully comply with the USB standard but putting a USB hub in between compensates for the problem. The solution set me back $10 and the setup get a bit more complex but it works!

Figure 1. A USB hub between the Aeotec dogngle and the Raspberry Pi 4 solves the compatibility issue.

Note: Look here for a complete list of devices that I use in my system (including the USB hub).
Note: For a more detailed explanation of the incompatibility see z-stick rpi4 electrical test results.

Comments

Post a Comment