hardware: add ikea trådfri to hass.io

After my failed encounter with Tellstick znet lite v2 I was a bit hesitant to continue my home automation journey. After licking my wounds for a few days I decided to give ikea trådfri a go. I could not be more satisfied with it's performance; easy installation, easy integration with hass.io, excellent reliability and coverage, at a low price and quite a few devices to chose from.

Please check my setup for which devices I have tested.

Figure 1. Trådfri is Ikea's attempt to get a piece of the homa automation market.

This is what I did.

After unboxing everything; gateway, motion sensors, button, power switch and bulbs I simply followed the very informative instructions from ikea. Buttons and LEDs on devices made it very easy to interact with them and not a single device failed to connect to the gateway at first attempt. This is a very different experience compared to the z-wave and 433 devices I have tried.

Well, following ikea instructions can be done by anyone, the next step was to integrate the gateway with hass.io. I buckled up and was ready for an all-nighter but 10 minutes later I was done!

The by far easiest way to integrate trådfri is to use the hass.io web interface. I clicked Configuration on the left menu > Integration > plus sign at bottom right corner > find IKEA trådfri. In the dialog that pops-up I entered the security code that I found on the backside of the trådfri gateway and the IP address of the gateway that I found in my router. When done I clicked submit and then rebooted hass.io. It was that easy!

Figure 2. Adding Trådfri into hass.io is surprisingly easy.

After reboot the trådfri devices are found as entities in hass.io and can easily be connected to web interface buttons, automations and scripts.

Note: to be able to add trådfri devices to the gateway you need at least one control unit; button, motion sensor, remote control, ...
Note: my only disappointment with the trådfri series was that the motion sensors does not report detection to hass.io but only to other trådfri devices directly, this limitation has made me stop using the motion sensors.

Recommended: I can really recommend using ikea trådfri devices in your hass.io setup.

Let me know in the comments field if you have any questions or comments.

Comments

Post a Comment